Monday, June 13, 2005

Beachin'

So last weekend (not this past weekend, but the one before that….yes, I’m way behind, back off) we took a trip to find the Impossible to Find Mystical Sandy Beach that we’ve heard so much about. I’m not the beach expert in the family, but I have been told (by the resident beach expert, actually) that there are no sandy beaches nearby.

What about Lincolnville Beach, I say. Doesn’t count. Too rocky, too crowded, too many teeny boppers, she says.

What about Laite Beach in Camden, I say. Too small, she says.

I stop there, because those are the only two beaches I know, and agree to load up the car with all the kids and dogs we can get our hands on and trek down to South Thomaston to find Lucia Beach, the supposed home of an actual sandy beach, void of crowds or teeny boppers or rocks. After several wrong turns, U-turns and turns for the worse, we found it. We bound out of the car (as much as one can bound out of a car while untangling kids from their car seats) and rushed from the parking area to lay our eyes upon the only sandy beach in Maine. Maybe even the entire U.S.

Yeah. While there were no crowds, and certainly no teeny boppers, I can’t say that there was a whole lot of sand. At least not yet. Maybe in, oh, say, a couple million years. In fact, there is probably more sand in Michael’s sand box at home than there was at this ‘beach’. But they did have poison ivy to make up for it.

Nonetheless, it was a beautiful day, the first in weeks, and we took some great photos of the boys (my apologies to dial-up users). Plus, Michael left much of his morning energy there, climbing rocks and chasing Maggie, and Enzo got to eat rocks for the first time. Speaking of Maggie, I must have the only dog on the continent who is afraid of water. And she’s a retriever, for cripe’s sake. Mark my words, though; by the end of the summer, she will either be an avid swimmer, or be at the bottom of the harbor.

Enjoy the photos.



Michael on one of the thousands of rocks that will someday become sand.

Rocks!! Woo woo! Gimme five!!

Sploosh.

Look, a rock!

Michael enjoyed undoing thousands of years of glacial movement by tossing the rocks back into the ocean.

Sal & Enzo. With some rocks in the distance.





Pathetic. Really.

No comments: