Off to College
Well, maybe not yet, but it might as well have been. I’m not sure who was more anxious about the day; Michael or Sal. Part of me expected Sal to grab on to the back of the bus, screaming ‘Don’t take my baby from me!!!’ as it rumbled up Maple Street, dragging her along behind. However, there were no tears, no tantrums, nobody screaming ‘No bus!! No bus!!’. And Michael was pretty calm too (ba dum bum – I’m here all the week).
In the end, Michael climbed on the bus, waved goodbye, and the bus drove away. It was all very anti-climactic. He’s at school now, in someone else’s care (insert lump in throat here), learning to use the brain in that little head of his. I fully expect him to know Pi to 20 decimal places upon his return this afternoon.
Waiting...
It's the traditional 'family photo before the bus arrives' shot.
This is what us husbands like to call 'The Evil Eye'. I was warned that if I put this photo on the website, I would meet an untimely end.
Can you tell which of them is smiling because he's excited, and which is smiling because she's nervous?
The bus is here!! The bus is here!!
'One small step for man.....'
Off into the sunset.

4 comments:
jeez, I think i'm gonna cry and I wasn't even there, must be the hormones. I can't believe Michael is old enough for school...go get 'em Michael!
Even I got a lump in my throat. I am afraid of how quickly that day is going to come!
Can't wait to hear how Michael's day went.
Okay, okay, am I the only female reading this who isn't crying? =-) No seriously, the only time I really almost lost it was when my friend Tia hugged Michael and told him to have a great day. That kind of stuff gets to me. Then when I hugged him goodbye, I almost did it, but it was easier than I thought to control it. I guess a long summer of hearing my name over and over can do that to a Mom.
No tears down here although Geri did seem a little misty. It does feel like time is moving too fast for us but the litttle guy showed he was ready for that new step. You guys did well to prepare him and I am sure his teacher will recognize the same although she may be in for a few surprizes from Michael before the year is very far along.
Post a Comment