Thursday, May 05, 2005

Chaos

cha·os n.

1. A condition or place of great disorder or confusion.
2. A disorderly mass; a jumble: The desk was a chaos of papers and unopened letters.
3. Often Chaos The disordered state of unformed matter and infinite space supposed in some cosmogonic views to have existed before the ordered universe.

4. T-Ball with five and six year old children.


Michael played in his first T-Ball game on Tuesday, and out of all the funny things I've seen in my life, this ranks up there in the top ten. The sight of 12 or 15 five and six year old kids running around with no clue as to what exactly they're supposed to be doing is rather amusing. Michael seemed to enjoy himself, and, to my delight, was very outgoing, at one point asking perfect strangers to watch how fast he can run.

His uniform made him seem so small, especially next to the six year olds. His shirt is down to his knees, his hat folds his ears down, and he has to keep pushing the batting helmet up so he can see where he's going. He had plenty of energy, though, chasing down ground balls in right field from his starting spot near third base. He has no real concept of the ongoing game, as he made several trips to us on the bench to grab some pretzels.

In the car on the way to the field, I admitted to Sal that I was more nervous for Michael's first game than I have ever been for one of my own. I can't explain why. I felt better as Michael met his coaches and teammates, and got involved with the game. It was, however, difficult to sit on the sidelines and watch. I guess I'll either have to get used to it, or volunteer to coach.

There's another game tonight, and every Tuesday and Thursday night for the next month. So there will be plenty of video footage in the coming days. For the meantime, enjoy the photos.



Michael in his newly issued uni.

Warming up...

Everyone in their 'ready' position....except for that kid with his arms up.....I have no idea what he's doing.

Michael on first after his infield single.

Michael running to second on a base hit. Yes, that is second base in the background, meaning that Michael is indeed heading towards right field.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is funny how there seems to be more parents/coaches on the field than children....directing them to the appropriate places.. funny!