White noise (well, not really)
I was thinking this morning that I haven’t provided an update on Enzo’s World lately, and many of you might be wondering, ‘What’s going on in Enzo’s World?!?’ If I had to use one word to describe Enzo right now, it would be ‘whiney’. He whines when his food isn’t ready soon enough (like as in RIGHT FREAKIN’ NOW!), he whines when someone leaves the room, he whines because it’s been a whole two minutes since he whined last, and he needs to make sure that everyone in the immediate vicinity knows that ‘I AM HERE AND I NEED ATTENTION!’
In addition to the whining, Enzo is always making noise, and he reminds me of Michael in that respect. I’m not sure if all ‘babies’ (I use that term loosely, because not only does Enzo look like a little kid, he acts like one too) make noise non-stop, but it seems that ours do. If he’s not whining, he blowing raspberries, flipping his tongue (‘bleah, bleah, bleah’), singing, identifying animals in the room (‘titty’ or ‘da-daw’), or calling for mom or dada. He’s been known to make noises with body parts other than his mouth (see the header on this blog, if you need further explanation). If his mouth is tired (or he hasn’t any ‘gas’ left in the ‘tank’), he’ll bang his hands on the table, whack two toys together, whatever it takes to obliterate the potential for silence.
The only time Enzo isn’t making noise is when he’s eating. This makes perfect sense, since eating is his most serious task, and he can’t be bothered or distracted by trying to multi-task and create noises while stuffing his face with both hands. If I’m upstairs, I can tell immediately when Sal has placed something on his tray; all the noise stops, and the house grows silent. It’s almost as if every living being in the area has stopped to watch in amazement as he eats. I swear that boy has a compactor in his stomach. Y'know, one of those things that you see on the back of garbage trucks that mashes the trash down so they can fit more in there? If you listen closely, you can hear a 'mrrrrrrrrrrr' noise in his stomach as it mashes the food into his hollow legs and makes room for more.
Aside from Enzo’s hand-to-mouth coordination, he’s doing very well with walking and other such related activities. He can stand up from a sitting position without having to use a couch or chair or human leg to help him up. When he’s excited, he walks fast enough that I might call it a run. And he is very happy with himself for being able to carry a waffle ball bat in one hand and a ball in the other as he tours the courtyard. He can step up from the grass to the deck, although he does so gingerly. He's much more stable when walking, as he barely flinches when he's bumped 'accidentally' by Michael.
His vocabulary improves every day, but it’s not the actual words that impress us the most. It’s his ability to imitate, and more so the speed at which he does it. For example, I was sitting on the floor with him, and we were playing some game, and, just to entertain him, I started making a repetitive humming noise. After about three times, he started humming the same pattern, when it didn’t even seem that he was even paying attention to me (a common theme for him). When you speak to him, you can see him watching your mouth, and trying to understand how to make those noises himself.
All in all, he’s just a big bundle of chaotic noise and movement, kind of like *Nsync. Only he’s waaaaay better looking.
You can pick your friends.....
Okay, I can't let you go all weekend with that image in your head, so here's a more tasteful one.
Much better.

No comments:
Post a Comment