Did I say that out loud?
There have been many times in my parenting career that I’ve done something, and then later thought ‘Oops. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that.’ It’s a common theme with me. When your kids start talking, the opportunities to do something you regret become much more frequent. Being the little Brawny paper towels that they are, they listen to everything you say, and then plot about when they could repeat it at the most inappropriate time.
My most recent blunder actually caused Michael to win an unofficial award at school. But first, a little background.
Michael is a ‘playa’. For all of the readers over 35, that means that he enjoys hanging around with the ladies. There are two girls he knows from his time at the YMCA preschool that he gets along with very well. He has said at various times that he is going to marry either one; one day it might be one, another day it’s the other. Once in awhile he’ll mention another girl (I’m trying to keep this anonymous), but he’s not so nuts about her because she punches him occasionally.
Well, Kindergarten opens up a new door, because of the exposure to new opportunities, both in the academic and social realms. Michael appears to be taking full advantage of his opportunities. One evening at dinner, he informed us that he wanted to marry two girls; one from his preschool (who is in the adjacent classroom to his, and rides with him on the bus), and a new girl he met in his class. In my ever-present witty way, I informed Michael that he’d have to move to Utah if he wanted to do that. I figured not only would he not understand what I was saying, but he’d soon forget about it. Right.
Last night we attended an open house for the Kindergarteners. Within 15 seconds of seeing his teacher, Mrs. G., she was eager to tell us that Michael currently holds the prize for best quote of the year, which goes something like ‘When I grow up I want to marry ‘L’ and ‘A’, but my dad says I have to move somewhere else.’ Later, the teacher’s aide told us the same thing. They both seemed to find it very amusing, which is good, and I’m sure that stories of my son’s sense of humor, as well as his tactless father, are spreading throughout town.
On to the serious stuff. Michael’s open house was great. We were able to see some of the things he’s been working on, such as his Spanish book (he can now say ‘hello’, ‘friend’ and count to ten), his caterpillar artwork, his pattern block work, the book they created as a class, and his button necklace.
What I was most impressed with was how Michael acted last night. If you knew Michael just two years ago, you’d have difficulty believing that he’s the same kid. That 3 year old was shy and introverted. It was difficult to get him to say hi to anyone, he didn’t want to participate in games or try new things. Last night, you’d think he owned the classroom, and he was throwing a party and everyone there was a dear friend of his. He introduced us to all his classmates – actually spied them, pulled them over and said ‘Anna, this is my dad and my mom. Mom and Dad, this is Anna.’ He even did this with the adults as well. We actually met one of his friends outside the school, he introduced us, and walked to his classroom with her, hand in hand. He roamed the room, talking to everyone, not shy in the least. When one of his lady friends from another class visited his classroom, he showed them around, politely pointing things out, all the while guiding them with his hand on their back. Upon leaving, Mrs. G. gave us the typical teacher schpeil; ‘He’s a pleasure to have, yada yada.’ She did say that he is very eager, and, judging by what I saw last night, I believe her.
I think I can say with confidence that Michael is officially out of his shell.

No comments:
Post a Comment