Home, James.
Though it was a loooong time ago, I can't remember begging for rides to school as much as Michael does. The middle school (yes, middle school starts in 5th grade around here) is literally 1/4 mile away. When I was in middle school, I had to walk a 1/2 mile just so I could get the bus that would take me close to the school, then I had to walk another 1/2 mile just to get to the school. Uphill. Both ways. Barefoot. And so on.
When Michael made the transition from the elementary school to the middle school, he was stoked. He would be able to walk or ride his bike, and he would be up early and leaving for school way before he needed to. Now, I guess the shine has worn off. He's been in middle school for almost seven months now, and despite my repeated rejections, he still calls me after school every day, asking for a ride. I feel badly having to say no, especially since it's so close, but walking builds, as they say 'character'.
Anyway, here's the exchange this morning:
Michael: So....you're dropping me off at school today?
Joe (as he looks out at the beautiful sunny morning): Um, no. Why would I?
M: Because......it was raining yesterday.
J:.........

1 comment:
This is great! I hadn't seen this one.
Post a Comment